Re: Granaboard 2013 virtual gathering
Nah, no ambition to actually create anything. I'd rather wreck shit.
I have maybe 6 episodes of He-Man left to watch, and I gotta say, the memories were definitely more in season 2 than 1. Hell, I even remembered one of the lessons at the end too, for some reason. Had more figures based on characters that showed up in season 2 as well. I'm not sure if I had any of the vehicles, but those have all been familiar as well, the robot horse, the weird walking dragon tank, etc.
I started playing Contra: Hard Corps yesterday. I can get to the 3rd boss. S.O.B. has too many damn forms, and I can only seem to beat the constellations with Brownie for some reason. When you get past them and he's like "You fight well, fool!" I immediately thought of Skeletor. Just seems like something he'd say. "Pretty clever, for a muscle bound moron!" It's like, why bother with that bit of praise, if you're just going to take it away anyway?
Weird how it worked out too. I mean, the Genesis game is the one with the storyline/adventure elements? It's like the Pirates of Dark Water games. SNES got the beat 'em up, and Genesis got the slower paced, progress saving, adventurous platformer. Bizarro world for the developers.
Edit: Caught the crossover that starts She-Ra. Seems like a fine show, but I don't know if I can put up with the music. At least He-Man's theme(barring the parts that sing his name) sounds like something that could have been in a Superman movie. She-ra's sounds like 80's synth pop...
Decided I was going to be a little more lenient on the adventure/RPG thing. Basically no random battles, or strategy games. So the only turn based stuff I'm good with is Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG's, and the occasional translation.
Re: Granaboard 2013 virtual gathering
Quote:
Originally Posted by
midnightryder259
Nah, no ambition to actually create anything. I'd rather wreck shit.
I have maybe 6 episodes of He-Man left to watch, and I gotta say, the memories were definitely more in season 2 than 1. Hell, I even remembered one of the lessons at the end too, for some reason. Had more figures based on characters that showed up in season 2 as well. I'm not sure if I had any of the vehicles, but those have all been familiar as well, the robot horse, the weird walking dragon tank, etc.
I started playing Contra: Hard Corps yesterday. I can get to the 3rd boss. S.O.B. has too many damn forms, and I can only seem to beat the constellations with Brownie for some reason. When you get past them and he's like "You fight well, fool!" I immediately thought of Skeletor. Just seems like something he'd say. "Pretty clever, for a muscle bound moron!" It's like, why bother with that bit of praise, if you're just going to take it away anyway?
Weird how it worked out too. I mean, the Genesis game is the one with the storyline/adventure elements? It's like the Pirates of Dark Water games. SNES got the beat 'em up, and Genesis got the slower paced, progress saving, adventurous platformer. Bizarro world for the developers.
Edit: Caught the crossover that starts She-Ra. Seems like a fine show, but I don't know if I can put up with the music. At least He-Man's theme(barring the parts that sing his name) sounds like something that could have been in a Superman movie. She-ra's sounds like 80's synth pop...
Decided I was going to be a little more lenient on the adventure/RPG thing. Basically no random battles, or strategy games. So the only turn based stuff I'm good with is Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG's, and the occasional translation.
I have Contra Hard Corps............ I'll replay it so I know WTF you're talking about since I've not played since HS. She-Ra did have some bad music...... at least it wasn't truly outrageous.
Re: Granaboard 2013 virtual gathering
You didn't remember the hacker, who takes you into cyberspace, and then you have to fight Taurus, Sagittarius, and Gemini, followed by a red computer chip, surrounded by gold ones, that take the forms of a square that tries to crush you with t shapes made from it's parts, a tank, and a helicopter? 6 forms for one boss... Anyhow, last I played, I could make it to stage 5 at least.
I'm dealing with it(mainly because they brought Skeletor back a few times, which I haven't seen yet), but that music... I always knew of the show, maybe caught an ep or 2, but I'm pretty sure I have no nostalgia for this one, so I might move on quickly. Maybe catch the Skeletor appearances and call it there.
Re: Granaboard 2013 virtual gathering
I dunno, it was like 10 years ago last I played so no, I remember the Simon Belmont bit and some other odds and ends and sliding around a lot. That's about it.
Re: Granaboard 2013 virtual gathering
Ironically, you get to that by not blasting the door, and climbing the wall, just before the boss I described.
Re: Granaboard 2013 virtual gathering
Quote:
Originally Posted by
midnightryder259
Ironically, you get to that by not blasting the door, and climbing the wall, just before the boss I described.
Ok good, you've saved me the hassle of having to find the boss. I'll be able to talk more about Contra HC soon as I'll start playing it some more.
Re: Granaboard 2013 virtual gathering
I actually started on this: Romhacking.net - Translations - Gensou Suikoden Card Stories
Almost want to get a PS1 emulator and play the original, which would actually be part 2. Not into the thought of the games that make full use of disc based tech though (I know that series doesn't, aside from the 2 quick FMV's in 2, but still).
Anyway, I'm actually finding it fairly enjoyable. Usually when card elements are added to RPG/adventure games, it's incredibly annoying, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all here. Aside from needing money to buy cards, there's nothing remotely RPG about this.
Edit: Oh, I guess there are random battles, but nothing you can't escape if you don't want to deal with it(though you drop money by the ~30's sometimes). You get some areas where you can actually walk around, and collect cards/money from chests and whatnot, which is where the random encounters will occur, but most of the game is navigating menus.
Edit again: Spoke too soon, it found a way to piss me off...
Re: Granaboard 2013 virtual gathering
Quote:
Originally Posted by
midnightryder259
I actually started on this:
Romhacking.net - Translations - Gensou Suikoden Card Stories
Almost want to get a PS1 emulator and play the original, which would actually be part 2. Not into the thought of the games that make full use of disc based tech though (I know that series doesn't, aside from the 2 quick FMV's in 2, but still).
Anyway, I'm actually finding it fairly enjoyable. Usually when card elements are added to RPG/adventure games, it's incredibly annoying, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all here. Aside from needing money to buy cards, there's nothing remotely RPG about this.
Edit: Oh, I guess there are random battles, but nothing you can't escape if you don't want to deal with it(though you drop money by the ~30's sometimes). You get some areas where you can actually walk around, and collect cards/money from chests and whatnot, which is where the random encounters will occur, but most of the game is navigating menus.
Edit again: Spoke too soon, it found a way to piss me off...
Perhaps one day I'll have a decent enough comp for PS1 emu's.......... shit I remember back in the day when a GBA emu was a big deal. So maybe I'll try this game out one day.
Anyways, there's this new title on XBox 360 Live "Child of Light" that has an ATB bar like Grandia's where moves take time to do and interrupts are possible. Shit, took some one near 20 years to ape Grandia's battle system. Too bad there's no battle positioning or anything. But the artwork for the game is incredible and the music seems nice too. I gotta save up some cashola to get it soon.
Re: Granaboard 2013 virtual gathering
Well, apparently there's this Aetherion, an indie RPG game for RPG Maker VX :: rpgmaker.net for a supposedly similar battle system to Grandia, but the last time I went through an RPGmaker game wasn't the most positive experience. Really, what I tend to struggle with is the length of these things keeping me from checking out action games and stuff. It's not that I find the genre god awful, though I don't think I can stomach random battles anymore, but who knows? I did get through a 60 hour random battle game recently... They have a Mario game there too, been thinking about trying to get through Super Star Saga, speaking of GBA. If not Chrono Trigger, yet again. That games the #1 reason I don't think I can quit the genre, and I still like the Genesis as my favorite console.
Although one character in that 60 hour game, that gets forced upon you at one point is named Harvey, and all I could think of, the whole time using him, was this: The Bensonhurst Bomber-The Honeymooners - YouTube
PS1 emulators generally aren't very resource heavy, so I'd still say try and see if you can get one running if you want to. Saturn would be another thing entirely, but PS1 never needed a powerful machine. N64 either, but that may depend on the emulator.
Re: Granaboard 2013 virtual gathering
Quote:
Originally Posted by
midnightryder259
Well, apparently there's this
Aetherion, an indie RPG game for RPG Maker VX :: rpgmaker.net for a supposedly similar battle system to Grandia, but the last time I went through an RPGmaker game wasn't the most positive experience. Really, what I tend to struggle with is the length of these things keeping me from checking out action games and stuff. It's not that I find the genre god awful, though I don't think I can stomach random battles anymore, but who knows? I did get through a 60 hour random battle game recently... They have a Mario game there too, been thinking about trying to get through Super Star Saga, speaking of GBA. If not Chrono Trigger, yet again. That games the #1 reason I don't think I can quit the genre, and I still like the Genesis as my favorite console.
Although one character in that 60 hour game, that gets forced upon you at one point is named Harvey, and all I could think of, the whole time using him, was this:
The Bensonhurst Bomber-The Honeymooners - YouTube
PS1 emulators generally aren't very resource heavy, so I'd still say try and see if you can get one running if you want to. Saturn would be another thing entirely, but PS1 never needed a powerful machine. N64 either, but that may depend on the emulator.
Saturn Emus are hard to run?